Email This Page Print This Page
Additional Information Additional Links

Zoning Information and Applications


Check Information or Zoning on a Parcel

Click here to check the zoning of a parcel of ground by address. The link will first take you to a disclaimer page. Select "I Accept" to be forwarded to the interactive web page that will allow you to look up information.

To check information or zoning of a parcel of land, go to the maps page.

Please note the following quick tips for using the interactive web map:

  • Additional layers of information will automatically turn on as you zoom in/out from the map using the plus and minus sign.
  • To search by address select "address" on the upper left side of the screen within the blue ribbon.
    • Enter the address and full street name IN CAPITAL LETTERS and click "find." On the left side of the screen the name of the street will appear in the "results box."
    • Click on the address to open the parcel’s information.
    • A right click zooms to the parcel.
  • To get more information on a specific parcel from the map without an address, select the "i" symbol in the upper right had side of the screen within the blue ribbon and then click on the subject parcel.
    • Select the drop down arrow to expand the information box
    • If you hover to the left of the drop down arrow another drop down arrow will appear. This allows different information to be shown. For most purposes the default "parcel" information will be the most useful.



Zoning and Subdivision Regulations

Click here to view Zoning and Subdivision regulations in the City Code.



Rezoning (Change of Zoning)

The rezoning of property is initiated by the submittal of a rezoning application including all applicable information and fees to the Planning Department. Applicants should contact the Planning Department to verify the existing zoning, review the comprehensive plan, and discuss the rezoning process in greater detail.

Planning and Zoning Commission reviews a rezoning petition and makes a recommendation to the Board of Alderman for a final determination. Rezoning petitions require a public hearing at both the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Board of Aldermen meetings.



Land Use Review Committee

The Land Use Review Committee was created to facilitate early communication between developers and the City regarding selected projects that will require Board of Aldermen action.

The Land Use Review Committee meets on an as needed basis and consists of the Mayor, the aldermen of the subject ward, the City Administrator, the staff of the Planning, Engineering and Building Departments, as well as other departments which would be involved in the particular project.

The applicant must fill out a Land Use Review application and submit with the appropriate supporting documents by the filing date. DOWNLOAD A LAND USE REVIEW APPLICATION WITH SCHEDULE. The applicant will then be assigned a time to present an overview of the project and answer questions from the Committee.

To determine if land use review is needed for a particular project, please contact the Planning Department at ext. 1438 at either 636-278-2244 or 636-477-6600. 



Special Use Permit

What is a special use permit?
Uses are permitted either ‘by right’ or by ‘special use permit’. A special use is a use which may be appropriate in the district in which it is permitted, but has certain characteristics which must be managed to protect the integrity of uses permitted by right in that district. Applications for special use permits include a site plan as an exhibit; the site plan includes the details of the existing or proposed building, parking, and related site improvements. DOWNLOAD A SPECIAL USE PERMIT APPLICATION.

When is special use permit approval required?
Special use permit approval is required for all uses listed as special use in each zoning district; the uses are particular to each district.

Who approves special use permits?
Special use permits are reviewed by the Planning Commission at public hearing. After review of the application and the public hearing, the Planning and Zoning Commission makes a finding of fact as to whether or not the standards for a special use are met and then makes a recommendation to the Board of Aldermen.

How can the public comment on a Special Use Permit application?

Interested citizens can attend the public hearing at the Planning Commission to express their opinion about the proposed special use permit. Also, comments can be mailed or emailed to the Planning Department – these will be provided to the Commission and become part of the official record. After the application is forwarded to the Board of Aldermen, citizens are welcome to attend the applicable Board of Aldermen meeting to express their opinion.



What are the standards for approval of a special use permit?
The Planning Commission reviews the particular circumstances of the proposed special use permit in terms of the following standards:

a. The proposed special use complies with all applicable provisions of the St. Peters City Code, including intensity of use regulations, setback regulations and use limitations.


b. The proposed special use on the specified real property will contribute to and promote the general, welfare, health, safety and convenience of the public.


c. The location and size of the special use, the nature and intensity of the operation involved in or conducted in connection with it, and the location of the real property with respect to streets giving access to it are such that the special use will not adversely affect the immediate neighborhood so as to prevent development and use of neighboring property in accordance with the applicable zoning district regulations. In determining whether the special use will adversely affect the immediate neighborhood, consideration shall be given to:


(1) The location, nature and height of buildings, structures, walls and fences on the real property; and


(2) The nature and extent of proposed landscaping and screening on the real property.


d. Off-street parking and loading areas will be provided in accordance with the standards set forth in the St. Peters City Code.


e. Adequate utility, drainage and other such necessary facilities have been or will be provided on the real property.


f. Adequate access roads, entrances and exit drives shall be provided and shall be so designed to prevent traffic hazards and to minimize traffic congestion on public streets and alleys.


g. In considering applications for a special use permit, the Planning and Zoning Commission and Board of Aldermen shall require such conditions of use as either may deem necessary to protect the general welfare of the City and the surrounding real property and to achieve the objectives of this Chapter.


h. A time limitation may be imposed on the special uses identified in the district regulations contained in this Chapter. Said special use permit time limitations shall be renewable at the discretion of the Board of Aldermen after consideration of the recommendation of the Planning and Zoning Commission.



Site Development Guide


Click here to download our site development guide, which provides a general overview of the development process as well as applications and plan requirement checklists.



For more information, email the Building Department at or call 636-477-6600, ext. 1670.


Apply now through the CitizenServe portal for a rezoning, special use, or site plan/plat, or for a sign permit.

Back to top