Email This Page Print This Page
Additional Information Additional Links

Residential Sewer Lateral Repair Program



Wastewater leaves your home and enters a "sewer lateral" that carries the waste to a sewer main. If there is a blockage in either the sewer lateral or sewer main, the wastewater in your home will back up. You, the homeowner, are responsible for maintaining your sewer lateral line. The City of St. Peters is responsible for maintaining its sewer mains. (St. Peters residents should call the City of St. Peters any time you have a sewer backup.) 


The City of St. Peters has a Sewer Lateral Repair Program in place to help St. Peters residents offset the cost of sewer lateral repairs.


DOWNLOAD (pdf document):


For more information, contact:
The City of St. Peters Utilities Department
St. Peters City Hall
One St. Peters Centre Blvd.
636-477-6600, ext. 1278
636-278-2244, ext. 1278


Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the Sewer Lateral Repair Program?
The Sewer Lateral Repair Program provides assistance for the repair of the sewer laterals that connect each residence to public sewers.

How is the program funded?
In 2003, the City of St. Peters residents approved a $28 annual assessment – the fee is paid with annual real estate taxes.

Who is eligible for the program?
The program is open to residential property owners within the City limits – this includes single-family homes, duplexes, villas, or condominiums. Properties that are not located within the City limits are not eligible.

How does a resident participate?
The first step is to submit an application along with a receipt for cleaning your lateral, your last year’s paid Real Estate tax receipt, and a $500 application fee. The City contractor will perform a video inspection of the sewer lateral. The video inspection is needed to verify the nature and location of the defect. If a defect is not eligible for the program, the balance of the application fee will be refunded to the homeowner.

Is there a maximum amount of repair costs that will be covered per household?
The program will provide a maximum of $10,000 per household. Any charges in excess of $10,000 would be the homeowner’s responsibility.

How are funds distributed?
The funds are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis until all the funds have been used for that calendar year. If the funds have been used, applications may still be submitted and reviewed. Eligible projects will be placed on a waiting list for the next year. If funds remain at the end of a year, they will be carried over and applied to the next year.

Who will choose the contractor to do the repair work?
If a repair is deemed eligible, the City will request repair quotes from contractors. The quotes will be returned to the City for review; the City will approve the lowest qualified bid. The City will then execute an agreement with the selected contractor. The City will issue a permit and inspect the repair work. Once the work is completed, the City will issue payment to the contractor.


Eligible repairs:

  • Repairs to private sewer laterals from the exterior building foundation wall to the public sewer main
  • Required street, sidewalk, or driveway pavement replacement
  • Seed and straw for yard repair
  • Permits and administrative costs


Ineligible repairs:

  • Repair, relocation or damage to structures, retaining walls, swimming pools, sprinkler systems, electronic dog fences, and landscaping
  • Damage caused by sewer lateral backup
  • Damage caused by contractor’s performance
  • Repairs or videos performed prior to applying into the program

Real estate transactions:

  • The Residential Sewer Lateral Repair Program is intended to assist homeowners who have experienced a backup with moderate or severe defects and limited sanitary sewer service. The program is not intended to satisfy a home sale contingency, therefore, any homes being advertised or in the process of being sold, with defects that meet program criteria, will be eligible to apply to the Residential Sewer Lateral Repair Program after the closing and actual transfer of property ownership from one party to the other.
For more information, contact the Utilities Department: St. Peters City Hall, One St. Peters Centre Blvd.; 636.477.6600 (AT&T), ext. 1278, or 636.278.2244 (CenturyLink), ext. 1278
Back to top